When you enter the wrong passcode many times on your iPhone, a notification “iPhone is disabled” pops up on the screen. This means you cannot unlock the device until you have taken certain steps.
Sometimes, when you have your iPhone in your pocket or bag, you don’t realize it’s happening. It is frustrating to know that you are locked out when you check your phone. However, like the other iPhone issues, it can also be resolved.
We have you covered here if you seek a solution to this problematic issue. Let’s know how you can fix the “iPhone is disabled, connect to iTunes” error.
What Is This Issue?
Sometimes the kids try to unlock your phone by typing the wrong iPhone passcode. If you’re lucky enough and your little family members try to enter an incorrect password nine times. You have to wait for some time. The “try again in X minutes counts down” will pop up on the screen.
There is no way out except to wait for the countdown to complete. We also don’t know about cheats to fasten up the countdown speed. However, you can make emergency calls by tapping the button at the bottom labeled Emergency.
But what if you entered the wrong log-in details more than nine times? Your phone will be locked. You cannot unlock it until you plug your iPhone into iTunes. Let’s discuss how to fix this locked iPhone issue.
1. Enter Recovery Mode
The first step you have to do is to enter recovery mode. To do this, you have to connect your phone to the computer. The recovery step is based on the model of your iPhone setting. If you are not sure about the model, you can check the back of your phone or user manual, which you have received at the time of purchase in the original box.
iPhone 8 And Later
Press the side button you used to unlock your screen and the volume button. Wait until the power off slider displays on the screen.
- Turn off your phone by dragging the slider.
- While holding the slide button, use a USB cable to plug your iPhone into a PC or Mac. Continue holding the side button until the display of the recovery screen.
- Follow the displaying instructions and recover your iPhone.
iPhone 7 And 7 Plus
- Hold the side button and wait until the power off slider displays.
- Power off your phone.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC while holding the side volume or Home button.
- Continue pressing the button until you see the recovery screen display.
- Recover your phone.
iPhone 6S And Old Models
- Hold power off until the power off slider appears.
- Turn off your iPhone.
- Press the Home button to connect your device to the computer.
- Continue holding the Home button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
2. Locate Your iPhone on MAC or PC
After entering the recovery mode, you need to proceed further on your Mac or PC. It will depend on the operating system you have. Follow the below-given guidelines to start recovering your phone that possibly restore your phone’s data.
- If you’re operating a Catalina system, then open a finder window.
- Your phone will appear on the left side of the Finder window below the location.
- Click on it to start.
MacOS Mojave or Older
If your operating system is not Catalina, you have to connect iTunes to connect your iPhone. Download iTunes and install it on your iPhone. There are various versions of the iPhone you could be running. Take appropriate steps keeping in mind the version you’re using.
iTunes 12 And Earlier
- In iTune 12 or older models, click on the iPhone’s icon appearing on the upper-left side of the iTunes window.
- On iPhone 11, hit the button on the iPhone tab displayed on the right side of the iTunes window.
- On iPhone 10, the iPhone will be in the sidebar on the left.
3. Select The Option To Resort
Once you successfully connect your iPhone or IPad to the Mac or PC, you need to click the restore option.
Once it is connected, the necessary software will download. It’ll take a few minutes if it is taking longer. It would help if you considered reconnecting your device following the guidelines mentioned above.
When the restoration process is complete, follow the on-screen prompt for setting up your iPhone. You have to wait for a while until the data on your iPhone is erased. If you have a backup of erased data, you can restore it from iTunes. We suggest you create frequent device backup. It’ll help in the recovery of data if anything like this happens.
4. Set Up Your iPhone
It’ll be easier to reset your iPhone like it is brand new. You’ll get these options while restoring these steps to recover from backup.
What To Do If The iPhone Won’t Connect To iTunes?
Sometimes users also encounter this problem. Your iPhone won’t connect to iTunes in a disabled mode. You can make it possible by following the steps mentioned below.
However, it’ll only work if you have previously set up Find my iPhone. Follow the instructions given below:
- Go to icloud.com on any PC or smartphone that is available to you. Sign in to your iCloud account.
- After you’re done, don’t forget to log out if you are using someone else’s device.
- Click on the Find phone.
- You’ll see a map displaying the latest location of your iPhone. If you have already set it up, Find my phone. Click “All Devices.” Then select the iPhone you want to restore.
- Click Erase iPhone.
- Your data and old password will be removed.
Also Check: 8 Fixes When iPhone Flashlight Not Working
If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having a disabled iPhone and show the connect to iTunes error, do not despair. There are a few things you can try to get your phone up and running again. We hope one of these solutions works for you.
Have you tried any of them? Let us know in the comments below.
Maryam has been teaching IT as a school teacher for over a decade, and her main subject of choice is Internet safety, especially helping parents keep their families safe and secure online. When Maryam is not teaching or writing she is a big fan of the outdoors, the complete opposite of staring at a computer screen for hours.