Sometimes when you want to stream your favorite series or play an online game, you receive a notification regarding “video unavailable” in your region. It is so frustrating? Right!
VPN isn’t only used for watching favorite movies or playing online games. It is an excellent source to protect your online presence. A few years ago, the VPN was only used for businesses. Companies allow their remote employees to connect their networks through VPN.
If you have never used a VPN before, or want to know more about VPN, let’s get started.
What Is A VPN?
VPN stands for “virtual private network” that helps you protect your online privacy by disguising all the information from your ISP (internet service provider).
VPN protects information that includes:
- Your IP address.
- Web pages you visit, and how long.
- Information you enter into websites that are not secured with HTTPS.
VPN services are especially useful when you use public networks. It encrypts your internet data and hides your identity. Hackers or any third party can not access your data to extort it and your online activities.
How To Set Up And Use A VPN?
Now that you have enough information about what a VPN is let’s know how to set it up.
At home, it is not difficult to set up a VPN. When you connect your router to any VPN, which takes a few steps to set up, but once your router is attached to a VPN, the devices working on your router’s internet don’t need to be configured separately.
When you’re away from home, you have to install a few apps on your laptop or cell phone so that you can use the internet safely.
You can set up a VPN by following methods that are:
- The first step is to find the best VPN providers. Some VPNs assure to provide quality service but do not fulfill their promise.
- Sign up with the VPN provider service. Many services offer free trials or a money-back warranty. You won’t lose anything if you don’t want to use it.
- Download the relevant app and install it on your device.
- Open the VPN connection and sign-up. You have to select settings to get started.
- Select the country you want to connect.
- Check if it’s working properly or not.
- Enjoy secure Internet service with efficient internet service providers.
Is VPN Legal?
A VPN server protects your online privacy, freedom of speech, and digital rights. But the question is, are they legal to use?
They are legal in many countries like the USA, UK, and Canada. Different organizations use VPNs to provide corporate network access to their employees.
On the other hand, VPN is banned or strictly regulated in countries like Russia, UAE, KSA, Iraq, Cuba, and China.
The important point is that activities like pirating copyrighted content, using the dark web, or hacking are illegal with VPN as without it.
How To Choose The Best VPN?
With almost 300+ VPN competitors in the market now! How will you recognize the best one? Here we will mention a few tips to choose the best one.
- First, you need to analyze why you need a VPN. If you are only looking for streaming movies, you need a VPN with the fastest speed and reliable connections.
- If you travel more often and use the public internet, you need to have a VPN that provides excellent security and can be used worldwide.
- Make sure the VPN you choose is compatible with your devices.
- If you’re not tech-savvy, it’s better not to select a complex user interface. Choose a user-friendly interface instead.
- If you work in countries like China with limited internet connection service, choose a VPN covering your important server location.
- It’s better not to choose a free VPN. You will face bad quality streaming, unreliable ads, etc.
- Select VPN that is available 24/7.
- Check if it assures you a money-back guarantee or not.
Benefits Of Using A VPN
Understanding the pros and cons of VPN servers can help your business decide if it uses a VPN and how to use a VPN. When the VPN is adequately configured to your device, it can strengthen your company’s security.
Here are a few advantages of using a VPN:
1. Secure Your Network
VPN has enormous advantages. One of them is a secure connection with your network. Sometimes you don’t know any idea that a third party is tracking you. It can be dangerous not only for your online presence but also for your safety.
Any application or site can collect your private data without your consent by showing relevant ads. They can keep a track record of your online activities and get access to you.
With a VPN, you can avoid all the privacy invasion activities. VPN helps you to keep your transmitted and receive information secure and secret.
2. Hide Your Private Information
VPN has another benefit in that it hides your private information. A malicious actor can access your personal information such as passwords, banking information, credit card. They can use your personal information in various illegal activities. They can also try to pretend to be you.
With the use of a VPN, the VPN client can enjoy an extra layer of security. VPN makes all your online communication nonsensical.
3. Access To Geo-Blocked Services
When you want to stream Netflix or Disney+, the notifications pop up that this video or platform isn’t currently available in your region.
VPN can help you to unlock these services. With a VPN, you can change your IP address. When you change your IP address, it changes the location of your device. In this way, you can enjoy streaming from those countries that do not allow access to their services.
Similarly, some businesses or websites do not allow access to specific locations. VPN software helps you to unlock full access to the services of block sites.
4. Save Money
If you’re fond of shopping online, a VPN app can help you save your money.
Many sites, such as hotels, airlines, etc track their consumer’s locations to increase payments. Some e-commerce stores charge higher rates based on region. You can use a VPN to hide your location so that you don’t have to pay extra.
5. Avoid Data Throttling
Another benefit VPN provides you is you can avoid data throttling. Data throttling can be defined as you have used a certain amount of data.
When your internet service provider knows that you have used a specific proportion of internet, he slows down your internet speed. If you use a VPN, it can avoid a data cap. In this way, even your IP address cannot measure how much internet data you’ve consumed.
It is helpful for the employee who has to purchase data plans.
Best VPNs Available In The Market
With so many competitors in the VPN market claiming their services to be the best and most affordable, a layman ought to get confused. However, we are about to rescue you again. We have compiled a list of the best VPN services available right now in the market. You can choose according to your needs.
1. Nord VPN
NordVPN is the best and most secure VPN option out there. It is a complete package from providing the fastest speed to protecting devices.
The stand out features of the NordVPN is:
- Your data remains encrypted.
- Fastest speed.
- Don’t collect, track or share data.
- Uninterrupted streaming.
- Servers in over 60 countries.
- Connect up to 6 devices.
- Multi-factor authentication.
- Get a dedicated IP address.
- Turn on CyberSec to avoid malware-hosting websites.
- Extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
1-month plan: 11.95$/ month.
1-year plan: 4.92$/ month.
2-year plan: 3.29$/month.
Also Check: Nord VPN Vs. PIA (Private Internet Access)
Another best option you have to choose is the Express VPN. The number # 01 trusted leader VPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The most prominent features of the ExpressVPN are:
- Secure access to 90+ countries.
- You can use this VPN on any device.
- Best-in-class encryption.
- VPN work effortlessly from anywhere.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Fastest speed.
- Change your IP address.
- Private DNS.
- No activity or connection logs.
One-month: 12. 95$.
Surf shark is another great VPN service. It is a whole package that protects your devices to your online presence.
The most dominant features are:
- Protect your data.
- Keep all your devices safe.
- Avoid government eavesdropping and company tracking.
- Protect multiple devices such as mobile, extensions, and tablets.
- Fastest speed VPN.
- Safeguard you from data breaches.
- Search without being tracked.
- Change digital location.
- Encrypts internet traffic.
- Secure devices from malware and viruses.
- Easy to use in the app.
- 30-days money-back guarantee.
One-month: 12.95$/ month.
Six months: 6.49$/month.
24-months: 2.21$/ month.
A VPN is the best source to protect your online presence. A virtual private network encrypts all your personal information to prevent any malicious actor from accessing it.
With the use of a VPN, you can secure your network, can access Geo-Blocked services, avoid data throttling, and save your money.
There are many options you can choose from. We have enlisted the three best VPNs. You can decide according to your needs.
Maryam has been teaching IT as a school teacher for over a decade, and her main subject of choice is Internet safety, especially helping parents keep their families safe and secure online. When Maryam is not teaching or writing she is a big fan of the outdoors, the complete opposite of staring at a computer screen for hours.