Are you struggling to create a strong password? If so, you are not alone. Many people struggle with this daily. With hackers getting more sophisticated, it’s essential to make sure your passwords are hard to crack. In the following post, we will offer some tips that will help make your passwords more secure.
- 1 Characteristics of Strong Passwords
- 2 Tips for Creating A Strong Password
- 3 1. Using Bruce Schneier’s Method
- 4 2. Using Multi-Factor Authentication
- 5 3. Using PAO Method
- 6 4. Random Password
- 7 Check Your Password Strength And Entropy Before Using
- 8 Points to Avoid While Creating a Password
- 9 Wrapping Up
Characteristics of Strong Passwords
To ensure that your password is not at risk, check that:
- Your password is long.
- There is a combination of both upper- and lower-case letters.
- Password should be the fusion of numbers and letters.
- At least one unique character should be added.
Tips for Creating A Strong Password
How do you create a strong password while still knowing it? Here we’ll explain the master plan for making the most strong password that you can remember.
1. Using Bruce Schneier’s Method
Bruce Schneier explored a new and clever method of creating a strong password in 2008. The approach adopted by him is that you take a memorable sentence to you and then convert it into memorable passwords by assigning each word a combination of characters to help you remember it.
Here are examples:
- Try bathing your dog once a day = TbURd1@d.
- This little piggy went to the market = tlpWENT2m
Later in 2013, Schneier put forward this method and gave more examples. Then that password scheme begins with “A PERSONALLY MEMORABLE SENTENCE.” Also, Schneier’s system does not appear to be risky to the usual method adopted by hackers.
2. Using Multi-Factor Authentication
Multi-Factor Authentication is an authentication method used to identify a device, a user, or an identifier by presenting several descriptions. They serve as another layer of security by requiring you to provide two or more authentication factors to access your accounts.
They also tend to reduce the risks of cyberattacks. It is considered one of the most effective forms of security control and secure passwords.
This method is also known as two-factor authentication (2FA). By using two-factor authentications, you should verify your identity by using two or three different factors. These are
- Things you know, such as your pin or your password.
- Things you have, such as your software token or your email.
- Other things you are, such as fingerprint, voice, or face recognition.
Other types of MFA’s include Location-based Authentication. That is an advanced type of MFA, and it takes a look at your IP address or geolocation. If you try to access you from another IP address different from your current IP, the program will grant you another verification.
3. Using PAO Method
PAO stands for Person-Action-Object. It is one of the techniques used for creating durable passwords that include a long string of numbers. You assign a two-digit number to a person, action, or object.
|13||Alice Cooper||Crawling on a stage||Dripping black makeup|
Using the above chart, the PAO to know is 861326, Prince-Crawling on A Stage-Football. Of course, you’ll want to use PAO’s similar to you.
4. Random Password
Random secure password generators are a great way to get unique and random passwords. You can generate them manually by rolling dice or spinning coins in a circle, but there is also software available for generating these on your computer if you don’t wish to make this task too time-consuming!
- Random passwords are difficult to guess and harder for computer programs to crack. The random password contains a combination of unrelated characters, but combining these words also works.
- To generate random passwords, many websites are made to generate a secure password. You can also try password manager for online accounts in this regard.
- Randomness is a critical factor in the strength of passwords, and also length matters a lot. Try to choose a 16-word password instead of the small password for password security.
- There is no fundamental need for upper-case and lower-case letters, but randomness makes the password stronger.
Check Your Password Strength And Entropy Before Using
Password strength refers to the effectiveness and power of a password for hackers, for guessing or the brute-force attacks. In general, it analyzes that how many trials an attacker will need to guess it correctly, that attacker who does not have direct access to your account. The strength of the password depends on length, predictability, and complexity.
- Password entropy is also another factor, and it also explains the unpredictability of the passwords.
- It is based on the character set used and password length. Also, it is usually expressed in terms of bits. A password entropy can be calculated by finding entropy per character.
- You can calculate the password entropy by log base 2 of the number of characters in the set used, multiplied by the number of characters in the password itself.
- In simple words, we can say that a password with high entropy is difficult to crack, and a password with less entropy is very easily cracked. You can also try a master password for online security. For further security, you can also set up a VPN.
Points to Avoid While Creating a Password
While creating a password, some points should be kept under consideration for a strong password.
- Words that are found in the dictionary or any language.
- Do not use your personal information as your password.
- Do not use repeat characters or a series of characters. It’ll refer to a weak password.
- Avoid typing it on a computer you don’t trust, i.e., in an internet café.
- Change login credentials after 3 to 6 months. Also, use multiple passwords.
- Change it if you have a fear that a human or a machine might know your password.
- Try password managers to create strong passwords and prevent the repetition of the same password.
By following these simple guidelines, you can create a strong password that is easy to remember. Your passwords will be more secure and your stress level will go down because of it! Remembering a complicated password with special characters might not seem like an issue at first glance but after a while, the process becomes too much for most people. Follow our tips below to make sure your information stays safe online. And don’t forget about using two-factor authentication as well!